Thursday, June 26, 2014

New Personal Work: "Soulbound," and DeviantArt Updates

First off, here's a new personal piece I finished yesterday:

"Soulbound," digital painting, ©2014
[prints available here]

This piece was originally conceived as an entry for a male pin-up challenge on the Women in Fantasy Illustration Facebook group, believe it or not. Through a couple conversations and the ideation process it ended up evolving into something else- there's a story that's been developing behind the scenes, and you can see some recurring symbolism and themes emerging in my recent personal work. If you're feeling adventurous, see if you can spot some of it.

On a style note, I really enjoy that aesthetic in 19th century paintings that feels like you're watching actors in a Greek tragedy, with sheet-draped actors and the intimate eye-level POV. I don't know how many more I'll do like this because I don't want it to become a crutch or a formulaic "thing." I dig it here, though.

"OMAIGAHHH..."

Second off, I finally updated my DeviantArt account again, with loads of work from this year so far. There was some shockingly old (translation: bad) work still on there that I cleared out, too. And I don't want to hear about how DA is a great place to show an artist's evolution. No one needs to see that crap within 100 miles of my portfolio. Those lazy compositions, the blinding saturation, the knuckleless sausage fingers...

Yeah, sausage fingers.

Ok, my dear readers... It's been a day. Time to paint.

5 comments:

  1. wow!! very well composed. Did you use any ref for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a wonderful model for the characters. I use at least some reference in all my paintings.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cynthia, greetings from Spain (sorry about my english...) your artwork is really breathtaking...congratulations. Reminds me classic artists like Waterhouse o Alma Tadema. I ´ve seen your step by step video and I think you are a wonderful teacher. Your tips and explanations are very useful, thank you very much for share with us. I want to ask you a question about brushes, are available to buy or download? I try to be digital illustrator and I know there are lots of digital brushes but I ended up having a long list that drives me crazy however your brushes seem impressive...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Virginia, thanks very much! There are some great digital brush packs available for download from other artists, such as Houston Sharp: http://houstonsharp.deviantart.com/art/My-Brushes-424639896

      and Wojtek Fus: http://digitalbrushes.tumblr.com/post/71475342722/wojtek-fus-photoshop-realistic-charcoal-brush-set

      Delete
    2. Hi again Cyntia! thank you very much for the links. I´ll download the files and will use it. You have been very kind ^^, thanks! I'll be looking forward to your blog and DA if one day you share yours. Big hug :)!!

      Delete