Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Sketching at the American Museum of Natural History

One of my favorite things to do in my leisure time (that I don't do often enough) is take sketch trips to parks and museums. On Monday I had a lovely opportunity to visit the American Museum of Natural History in NYC, and brought my sketchbook along for some fun.


Diprotodon australis, "Two Forward Teeth" | A huge distant cousin of the rat, or the largest wombat known to have ever lived...


T-REX! | AMNH has the real deal on display, whereas the skeleton at the Smithsonian is a cast.


Mammuthus primigenius | Mammoth skull & partial front leg.

Besides the sketching, it was a treat to see the detailed diorama paintings by James Perry Wilson. He did such an accurate job of matching his paint to the physical objects in the dioramas that you can barely tell where the real world ends and the two-dimensional begins.


Not to mention, I got to walk in Central Park for the first time. Wish there had been time to sketch there too... Next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment