Thursday, October 24, 2013

Magic Card Art: Rubinia Soulsinger



Card Name: Rubinia Soulsinger
© 2013 Wizards of the Coast

Gatherer Link: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=376476

Medium: Digital
Original Art Available? Drawing (sold)
Artist Proofs Available? No

Artist Notes The first thing a fan asked was whether or not I designed this art from a dyslexic misreading of Rubinia's name as Soulsigner rather than Soulsinger. No, and yes. The art brief mentioned that Rubinia was used to conscript creatures into an army, plus the card is a reprint, so unlike usual I had a decent idea of what she was going to do. My husband actually suggested the scroll and quill, and I ran with it because I thought it was awesome- like a recruiter trying to get your signature, but in a more alluring/powerful way?

After the "signing" suggestion, I did assume I was initially incorrect, and that it was -signer all along, but on closer inspection later I realized I was right the first time.

13 comments:

  1. Cynthia, just stunning! Love the dress, the quill and the look on her face. The colors choices are just the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ernest- I agree, Bant colors are brilliant. ;)

      Delete
  2. Great post. Looks gorgeous. I like to share this around my friends too. Keep up this good work on this.
    pin nudes

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's my favorite art from the commander set. i really hope to meet you one day so i can get this signed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Jeremie! Likewise, I hope to make it out to lots of events in 2014.

      Delete
  4. She's pretty hot now. They should ask you to remake do Merieke Ri Berit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry to comment on site here, but email on your main site is not set up it seems. My name is Jim, and I had the pleasure of meeting you in Richmond almost a month ago. I am the double soulsinger mat guy. I know how busy work can be, especially as a full time working artist, but was wondering if you contact me at your earliest convenience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you willing to sign a card and sell to someone as a Christmas gift? My son who is a student in college and a closet nerd as he calls himself is obsessed with this game.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of good news in this post. This article is wonderfully written!
    Leading Hotels of the World

    ReplyDelete